PITTSBURGH–(BUSINESS WIRE). .
“In 2021, as neighbors reunited and classrooms once again welcomed students, we engaged our global community partners and staff volunteers to help communities thrive in the areas we call home,” said Malesia Dunn , Executive Director, PPG Foundation and Corporate Global Social Responsibility. “Our support has been focused on revitalizing classrooms and activating our commitment to promoting diversity, equity and inclusion through education, hands-on science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) learning and community volunteering to bring color and brightness into bring the world.”
Highlights of PPG and the PPG Foundation’s collaborative engagement in 2021 include:
- $6.6 million to build the next generation of diverse and innovative STEM leaders. Through a partnership with Pittsburgh promise, the PPG Foundation funded scholarships for post-secondary access to education that will help nurture a prepared, diverse regional workforce. In Milan, Italy, PPG partnered with the National Museum of Science and Technology Leonardo da Vinci in a state-of-the-art, interactive lab designed for programs such as color-based chemistry workshops. Through these programs and more, PPG funding prioritized STEM learning and career opportunities; Creating opportunities for young women to explore science-based learning and meet female role models in STEM-related fields; and expanded partnerships with leading universities to create launch pads for a diverse STEM talent pipeline.
- 37% progress toward investment commitment $20 million by 2025 Support programs for black communities and people of color in the United States the The PPG Foundation increased its focus on programs that provide educational pathways for black communities, people of color, and other historically underrepresented populations. Through programs like the STEM Coding Lab summer camp, CS Explorer and Michigan Science Center’s Explainer’s Project, PPG partnerships sparked an early interest in exploration and discovery and helped students see the connections between STEM ideas and real-world innovations and careers. The PPG Foundation also supported various students pursuing advanced, post-secondary STEM degrees through partnerships with professional organizations, including the National Black MBA Association and the National Society of Black Engineers.
- $5.9 million for community change, basic needs and social justice: As different parts of the world faced and recovered from unforeseen natural disasters and pandemic-related hardships, PPG and the PPG Foundation supported essential needs and community recovery programs. The answer included partnerships with the american red cross supporting local emergency relief and recovery efforts in the wake of Hurricane Ida; Diecezni Charita Brno Providing financial aid and assistance following an F4 category tornado in the South Moravian region of the Czech Republic; and Give2Asia Fund emergency equipment in five hospitals across India during the Delta Variant surge. Donations in the US have also included social justice initiatives with organizations such as the NAACP Legal Defense Fund and Asian Americans Advancing Justice.
- 56 COLORFUL COMMUNITIES® projects completed in 2021 in 17 countries: PPG is global Colorful communities The program has now completed 386 projects since 2015. Over the past six years, more than 18,000 staff and community volunteers have used PPG paint products to add color and shine to community spaces in 42 countries, positively accelerating more than 7.4 has impacted millions of people.
All year 2021, Colorful communities Projects focused on offsetting the heavy toll of the pandemic-related learning challenges, using color to create effective learning environments and positive educational experiences for students around the world. PPG’s US employee resource networks have also partnered with organizations that share similar affinities to transform spaces that serve diverse communities. These included:
- Luis Muñoz Marín Dual Language Academy in Cleveland, Ohio: PPG volunteers brought courage and creativity to life through fresh colors and vibrant murals that helped revitalize the students’ environments as they returned to their classrooms after more than a year of distance learning.
- PPG Stiwewa Buurtcentrum in Winti Wai, Suriname: PPG employees helped paint interior and exterior walls, including murals, of the new PPG Stiwewa Buurtcentrum (Community Center). Located near a PPG manufacturing facility, the building was designed to provide social support to local residents, including educational and employment support for young people, and fun recreational programs for all.
- Instituto Eurípedes in Araraquara, Brazil: At an education center for at-risk children and families, PPG enabled the painting of two buildings, a colorful mural, several classrooms and a sports field. The center offers courses for children and young people and has supported around 200 families since the beginning of the pandemic. PPG volunteers also planned an interactive activity with the children attending the center, including painting flower pots.
- Three elementary schools in the Philippines: PPG volunteers in the Philippines continued their partnership with the GMA Kapuso Foundation to support the rehabilitation of Mabini Elementary School in Catanduanes Province and Abariongan Uneg and Calassitan Elementary Schools in Cagayan Valley Province.
“As a science and technology company, we know firsthand the importance of educational opportunities to create a more sustainable community and accelerate pathways for diverse students and communities. We’re seeing fresh colors transform spaces that make students feel resilient and ready to learn,” said Dunn. “Throughout our efforts in 2021, we have prioritized opportunities to demonstrate the power of volunteerism and education to reflect on our company’s purpose of ‘protecting and beautifying the world.'”
Learn more about PPG and the PPG Foundation’s investments in 2021.
PPG’s global community engagement efforts and the PPG Foundation aim to bring color and brightness to PPG communities around the world. We invested $13.3 million in 2021 and supported hundreds of organizations in more than 40 countries. By investing in education, we help expand today’s skilled workforce and develop tomorrow’s innovators in areas related to coatings and manufacturing. We also empower PPG employees to multiply their impact on causes important to them by supporting their volunteer efforts and charitable donations. Learn more at community.ppg.com.
PPG: WE PROTECT AND BEAUTIFY THE WORLD™
At PPG (NYSE:PPG), we work every day to develop and deliver the paints, coatings and materials our customers have trusted for nearly 140 years. Through dedication and creativity, we solve our customers’ biggest challenges and work closely together to find the right way forward. Headquartered in Pittsburgh, we do business and innovate in more than 75 countries and had net sales of $16.8 billion in 2021. We serve customers in the construction, consumer goods, industrial and transport and aftermarket sectors. To learn more, visit www.ppg.com.
We protect and beautify the world is a trademark and Colorful communities and the PPG logo are registered trademarks of PPG Industries Ohio, Inc.
CATEGORY Community Affairs