The men’s professional tennis tour has launched an investigation into allegations of a former girlfriend of domestic violence by the Olympic champion and US Open runner-up in 2020 Alexander Zverev.
The ATP announced on Monday that it is investigating “allegations against Alexander Zverev at the ATP Masters 1000 event in Shanghai in 2019”.
âThe allegations against Alexander Zverev are grave and we have a responsibility to address them. We hope that our investigation will allow us to establish the facts and determine appropriate follow-up action, âsaid ATP CEO Massimo Calvelli in a statement released by the tour. “We understand that Zverev welcomes our investigation and acknowledges that he has denied all allegations.”
Zverev is a 24-year-old German who is currently number 4 in the world rankings.
On the way to the gold medal, he annoyed the number 1 Novak Djokovic at the games in Tokyo in July, then lost to Djokovic in the semifinals of the US Open in August. Zverev lost to Dominic Thiem in the US Open final a year ago.
Former girlfriend Olga Sharypova first made the allegations last year. It posted a new, detailed report on a Slate.com story in August.
“I have always said that the allegations and everything that has been said is untrue,” Zverev said at a press conference in late August before the start of the US Open.
He said at the time that he would support the implementation of a domestic violence policy by the ATP.
The tour also said Monday it had received what is known as an “independent protection report,” which said it is “a key element of the ATP’s overall security review to ensure that all adults and minors involved in professional tennis are safe and sound.” are protected from abuse â.
The ATP said it would “evaluate the report’s recommendations to determine immediate next steps … in relation to all matters of abuse, including domestic violence”.